Starching used to be considered a lost art, but it’s making a comeback now that people are becoming aware of its benefits. Here are five advantages of having starch in your laundry arsenal:
1. Makes ironing easier + faster: Starch has ironing aids that help the iron glide faster and “sets” the fabric so you don’t have to iron over the same area as many times.
2. Helps you look polished: There’s a noticeable difference between a professionally laundered shirt and one that’s been cleaned and ironed at home—except when you use starch.
3. Keeps wrinkles out longer: Compared to alternatives like steam, starch is better at helping you maintain that freshly ironed look throughout the day.
4. Protects fabric from stains: Starch acts as a barrier between fabric and dirt or sweat, causing dirt to stick to the starch instead of the fabric and making it easier for these stains to come out in the wash.
5. Extends the life of fabric: A big misconception about starch is that it degrades fabric over time. In reality, it extends the life of fabric by preventing fraying and lessening the need for harsh, heavy-duty cleaning products in your laundry routine.